Here are my latest finds and news from style, fashion, film, photography and beautiful living.
One of the things I love the most about the last months of the year is that it’s the time the good movies are released in preparation for the awards season. One of the films I can’t wait to see is The Monuments Men, co-written, directed and produced by George Clooney, based on the book Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History, by Robert M. Edsel.
As German forces bombed and invaded Europe, they also removed an estimated five million works of art and cultural objects from museums, churches, universities and homes, including masterpieces by Johannes Vermeer, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo and Jan van Eyck, along with other objects of art, valuable pieces of furniture and rare books: all representing centuries of European culture. “Monuments Men”, short for the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives Section of the Allied military effort, was a relatively unsung group of 345 men and women from 13 countries who recovered thousands of stolen artworks between 1943 and 1951.
The film is centered on one of the Allied group’s platoons’ mission to recover stolen works of art from the Nazis. George Clooney, Cate Blanchett, Matt Damon, John Goodman, Hugh Bonneville and Jean Dujardin star in the film, which is set for release on December 18th.
• And here is an interview with George Clooney talking about his up-coming movie.
• Interesting read: The Discreet Charm of Tomas Maier. “I like restraint. I like when things are pared-down. I like the idea of less being more.”
• Another talk I very much enjoyed, dating from a few years back: Julie Christie for Another Magazine
• I need something like this in my wardrobe this autumn
• My outfit inspiration for today
• Haru and Mina, a series of photos by Japanese photographer Hideaki Hamada bound to bring smile on your face