Only two weeks until Christmas and I am sure they will fly by without even realising. So I thought I’d share a few more ideas for gifts and some other wonderful finds related to this magical month. I still have a couple of presents to buy and work projects to finish, but even if we don’t have snow and don’t know if we will in time for Christmas, the holiday films I’ve begun to watch (again, just as it happens every year, you can see an up-dated list here) are helping me get into the Christmas mood. And there are the traditions, the fantasies of the window displays, the carols, the small gestures of kindness, the decorations, the present wrapping… How lovely is the velvet ribbon popping up throughout these photos like a leitmotif?
* a lovely tradition: a children’s book and story telling every evening of December until the 25th
* a cute decoration idea: hand-made owls
* a golden Christmas at Dior
* were I to choose one (more) present, regardless of price… this Grace Kelly portrait by Mark Shaw
* book gift idea: Irving Penn: Small Trades: an extensive photographic portrait of Paris, London and New York’s skilled tradespeople in their work clothes, carrying the tools of their professions.
* The Penguin Classics collection, every book has such a beautiful cover that they don’t even require wrapping paper, just a velvet ribbon will do. A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings, Fairy Tales and the Major Works of Charles Dickens box set are some of my favourites.
* Bougies La Française: candles to ‘make you dream and travel in your mind’
* Lisa has reminded me of a favourite holiday activity: jigsaws. I think this art puzzle would make a lovely Christmas gift.
* window display magic in Paris and in New York
* something I always love giving to friends and surprise guests: home-made goodies and other lovely handmade things
I hope you had a beautiful weekend and that your week is off to a wonderful start!