Alright, alright, alright! Paraphrasing the already famous McConaughey line. The Academy finally got it right! Matthew McConaughey, Cate Blanchett, Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o were all my choices for best actors and actresses, because they really were the best, and it felt so good to see them rightfully win the Oscar. There were really no surprises for me, as everyone I was expecting to win and who I had predicted would win in the important categories actually went home with an Oscar. Here are my other highlights of the night:
• I liked Ellen DeGeneres as host. She was funny and I enjoyed the show.
• Ellen ordering pizza for the celebrities in the audience and Harvey Weinstein paying for it, of course.
• Best speeches (some of the best moments of the night): Matthew McConaughey, Lupita Nyong’o, Jared Leto and Cate Blanchett.
• Sidney Poitier presenting the best director award alongside Angelina Jolie. I love the man.
• Pharrell Williams getting Lupita Nyong’o, Meryl Streep and Amy Adams to stand up in their seats and dance.
• Kevin Spacey presenting the segment on the Academy’s honorary awards (he was so in his element on the stage and everywhere else I spotted him), starting by speaking in the voice of Francis Underwood, his House of Cards character: “And I sing because it’s so nice to be out of Washington and be with all my Hollywood friends.” He is amazing in the series. Have I told you that I am a huge fan?
• The In Memoriam segment always makes me cry. There are too many we’ve lost in the last year.
• I can’t say I had a favourite Red Carpet look, but I liked Lupita Nyong’o in Prada, Charlize Theron in Dior (she also had the best hair style), Naomi Watts in Calvin Klein Collection, Cate Blanchett in Armani Privé and Amy Adams in Gucci Premiere.
Go to the movies, dear readers!
photo: via E! Entertainment (Sidney Poitier and Angelina Jolie presenting the best director award, Oscars 2014)