Here are my latest finds and news from style, fashion, film, photography and beautiful living.
A stunning journey into the world of photographer, diarist and writer Peter Beard, this two volume special edition book is something I would love to have on my coffee table. Peter Beard began keeping diaries of every trip he took from a young age, and his love affair with wildlife, which plays a center part in his work, began when he was a teenager and read the books of Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesen). He actually befriended the Danish author after having spent time in Kenya and he even bought a property near hers. As a fashion photographer, he took Vogue supermodels like Veruschka to Africa, and brought new ones, like Iman, back to America with him. This unique publication chronicles his life and work in New York City, Mauntauk and Kenya through photo collages, hand-written diary entries and old-masters-inspired drawings.
• The Centre Cannot Hold is another book that has captured my interest. David Gulden is a photographer and environmentalist, who has spent the last 20 years in Africa photographing wildlife alongside the likes of aforementioned Peter Beard. The book contains black and white photographs that feature a personal yet universal safari, “where nature’s creatures are captured with great intimacy and artistry”.
• I love Sofia Coppola’s style in this campaign for her limited edition Louis Vuitton SC bag
• Have you watched Homeland? I can’t wait for season 3. I think Claire Danes is fantastic in it and one of the reasons I didn’t find Jessica Chastain’s role in Zero Dark Thirty groundbreaking, like many others did, was that I kept comparing her to Claire in Homeland and there is no doubt who’s better. More on the Homeland actress and her career changing role, on Vogue.com.
• The still life photography of Jordi Canosa
• It’s the season for watermelon and I can’t wait to try this perfect summer salad
photos and collages: Peter Beard, Peter Beard Taschen Collectors’ Edition, by Steven M. L. Aronson, Owen Edwards, and Nejma Beard